A wood plank floor is simply a floor that is made of a sawed and straight-grained timber. Wood plank flooring is available in a wide range of species, colors, and styles. The planks are cut at a width of three inches and a length of sixteen feet on average.
The best wood species for manufacturing a plank floor are the light-bodied walnut, maple, golden heart pine, rich-textured chestnut, sturdy oak, and cherry. This article will compile vital information concerning wood plank flooring.
Features Of Wood Plank Flooring
The wooden pieces are usually wide and will undoubtedly occupy much of the floor’s space. For this reason, their installation can be much straightforward and quick as opposed to other floors. Typically, an average room’s floor will require at most four boards of these pieces.
Plank floors are easily maintained through regular sweeping and mopping. Vacuuming and steam cleaning can ruin the floor very quickly. Wood plank flooring does not harbour dust or dirt, unlike carpeting, making it easily cleanable. This type of flooring is also an excellent choice for allergic people.
Density And Durability
Plank floors are more dense and durable than other forms of flooring, such as strip flooring. While other floors have a lifespan of typically five years, plank floors can last at least ten years before being replaced.
Wood plank flooring comprises mineral streaks, nature-made imperfections, knots, and natural splits that add to the beauty of any floor. The woods used are generally beautiful and luxurious to add to the home’s value and character. In addition, this floor creates an illusion of a larger space in case your room’s space is limited.
The Ideal Places To Use Wood Plank Flooring
Plank floors can be used across the entire house due to their durability. The floor will be ideal for the living room, bedroom, office, dining room, or family room. If you are sure to do the proper maintenance to the floor, you can still use it in the kitchen. However, the wood plank flooring should never be used in laundry rooms and bathrooms.
Pros And Cons Of Wood Plank Flooring
- A wood plank floor will make the room seem bigger
- Since the wooden floors can be easily swept and vacuumed; their maintenance is pretty straightforward
- Wooden floors look stylish; thus, they add to the value of your home
- Plank floors are available in various styles. For example, you can choose cherry, walnut, oak, or other hardwood species and add different colours and stains to create a unique look
- They make your room seem more spacious due to their vast and long sizes
- Plank floors usually show scratches and scuffs over time; thus a constant refinishing is needed
- Wooden floors are much noisier than other floors since wood does not absorb sound
- They are much expensive
- The floor can be easily damaged by spills, liquids, and humidity
The above information about plank floors will be much easier for you to determine the ideal flooring for your home. You can incorporate various wood floors with unique colours to improve your space’s quality and beauty.